My work focuses on compassion, bravery,
and discovering the mystery in our everyday lives.
Hi, I’m Vanessa Sage, Ph.D., and I’ve been immersed in women’s spirituality and tarot for over 25 years! I’m a Priestess, a spiritual and business mentor, and a poet. I’ve led six cycles of women in Priestess Training, have written a book of poetry, and run a tarot school. I love finding wonder in my everyday life, and comfort in a good book and a cup of tea.
I have a Ph.D. in cultural anthropology from McMaster University and have published scholarly articles on Goddess Pilgrimage in Glastonbury, England and The Romantic Movement’s Influence on Contemporary Paganism. Over the course of my 10-year academic career, I studied: Buddhism, goddess spirituality, pilgrimage, contemporary paganism, and how hope for a city was embodied in an arts scene.
I care deeply about mindful compassionate leadership. I am committed to building enriching, conscious and thriving community based on the principles of love, light, compassion, kindness and respect.
My Aim is that You Experience:
- A real felt sense of belonging and worthiness.
- A greater experience of peace and purpose.
- An increased connection to self, others and spirit.
- A sense of wonder and awe in the everyday
- Deep healing that comes from your own empowered knowing.
- Embodying a true acceptance of oneself as powerful and beautiful!
I’m multi-passionate and bring my whole heart and mind to the table. Over the last 7 years, I’ve taught insight meditation and trained as a neuropsychology and positive psychology life coach with an emphasis on mindfulness.
I’ve led heart-centred business classes for Jennifer Lee of the Right Brain Business Plan, and I’m a business strategist with an emphasis on authentic and connected marketing. I have a successful business that sustains my family.
And I’m currently developing my skills in Reiki, emotional resilience techniques, somatic mindfulness approaches, and Core Shamanism in order to better serve those who have experienced broken open moments, burn out, trauma, body issues and addictions.
I walk this path with you.
I’m inspired by many spiritual traditions,
Do my own personal spiritual growth work,
And am a highly sensitive introverted empath.
You’ll notice that I talk about the Goddess, read poetry to you, lead journeys, draw on Buddhist principles of mindfulness and presence, drum at the beginning of circles, and am influenced by the Circle Way.
I invite you to be seen and heard and have a very intuitive participatory teaching style.
There may also be an appearance or two of Kermit the Frog!
All the feelings are welcome in my work, we go deep, and there’s a lot of laughter when we meet.
I believe we’re all leaders and have valuable things to learn from each other.
I’m body positive and am committed to providing a welcoming space for people of all ages, cultural, racial, ethnic, and economic backgrounds, as well as sexual orientations and gender identities in my programs. I offer spiritual sanctuary and a calm in the storm no matter the religious or political affiliation of the individual while upholding the values of non-violence, inclusivity and diversity.
I’m a quiet leader who pours the tea and holds space for all the feelings.
I follow an earth path and honour the ancient lineage of serving the Goddess. As part of a reclamation of the sacred in all forms, I honour Goddesses from around the world.
As a cultural anthropologist, I understand culture as multiple, complex, not fixed, and in constant change. You will see different cultural influences showing up in my work. I view this as a strength.
I see the world as animistic and interconnected. Nature is where I find a mystical connection with spirit.
I’m a queer fat femme witch and so much more.
Some of my evolving influences are: Starhawk, Clarissa Pinkola Estes, Christina Baldwin, Jean Shinoda Bolen, Patricia Monaghan, Sandra Ingerman and Core Shamanism, Mary Oliver, David Whyte, John O’Donohue, Pema Chödrön, Jack Kornfield, Tara Brach, Brené Brown, Elizabeth Lesser….and Kermit the Frog!
Read More About My Spiritual Journey HERE
You are invited to hold your own inner council & discover your inner divinity!
May you always know that you are meant to be exactly who you are in this world.
Send us an Email:
- Blue is my favourite colour.
- I don’t feel like myself without blue streaks in my hair.
- Lavender, sage and salt air are my favourite scents.
- I adore flowers but can’t seem to grow them or keep plants alive.
- Poetry is my first love. I not-so-secretly wish we lived in a world where poets made as much money as lawyers. Pass it on!
- I don’t have my driver’s licence. Sometimes I think I skipped a step into adulthood but who I am I kidding I have a hard time not looking up at the sky when I’m on a bike!
- My first fieldwork experience was when I was an undergrad, and I decided to go to Glastonbury to study Goddess pilgrimage. I published a paper on my work and presented the research at Cambridge University. That was pretty neat!
- I’ve also studied Western Buddhist youth, the Romantic Movement’s influence on contemporary Paganism, crop circles as a new religious movement, and how hope for a city was embodied in a local arts scene (that was the PhD).
- I once proposed to do my graduate work in England on how spirituality takes material form in trees, crop circles, stained glass and ruins. I still want to do that research.
- In a former life, I was a stage manager, and co-founded and managed a successful Shakespeare in the park theatre company.
- I’ve also trained as a Neuropsychology coach and taught Insight Meditation.
- I’m super goofy, have an ironic sense of humour, and I offer tea and cookies (virtual or otherwise) whenever I can!
- I’m a TOTAL tarot geek! In the over 20 years I’ve been drawing cards, my deck collection, love and passion for the tarot just keeps growing.
- Along with being a Buddhist with a deep love of the Goddess, my spirituality is an undefined Earth Path (and I like it that way).
- I started drumming just after my 40th Birthday because I didn’t want to get to the end of my life and only wished I had drummed. We’ll call my drumming intuitive. Really, it simply brings me joy. My drum was specially made for me in the Celtic tradition, and this is how I use it.
- …And Kermit the Frog is my hero. Seriously, he was the first dreamer to come into my life and say that dreaming is worth doing. Plus, he’s a bit of a worry wort which made me feel normal. Feeling normal when you really feel green is great!
“To say working with Vanessa changed my life is a bit of an understatement. The teaching Vanessa offers and the way she holds space has healed my soul and brought me back to myself in so many ways.” -Love Letter Reader
More of My Writing:
Note: All photos are my own and were taken by my partner Stacy Maskell or myself.
Photo Locations: Cape Breton, Canada. Glastonbury, England. Delphi, Mycenae and Chania, Greece.
The Hermit from the Sasuraibito was taken at Delphi. The Seer and the Fool are from the Wildwood Tarot. Also pictured are the Lioness Oracle Tarot, Tarot of the Spirit and the Druidcraft Tarot (trimmed). I highly recommend all of these decks.